05 June 2022

"YEA, THOUGH I WALK THROUGH THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH..."

I cannot tell you how many times I have read Psalm 23 at the graveside of a loved one who has passed from this life into eternity; neither can I count the times I have read this beautiful and meaningful psalm for a source of comfort and encouragement for my weary soul. However, the above statement in Psalm 23 was not speaking of death itself but the probability of death lingering near to the person who was walking through “the valley of the shadow of death.” The shepherd would lead his sheep in the valleys where more grass could be found for his flock. Often the valleys would become more narrow while going through a pass in the mountainous areas. This would have been where wild beasts were to be found and waiting for the opportunity to attack the sheep. Also thieves and robbers would be waiting to kill or to steal. This became truly a ‘valley of the shadow of death.’ On Monday, April 19, 2021, this portion of Psalm 23 became very real to me, for I too passed through a “valley of the shadow of death.” While I was waking up from my hip surgery, I felt tremendous pressure on my heart and it got worse by the seconds. It felt like an elephant was standing on my chest. The pain was so great that I did not feel like I could stand it - but I had no choice. The surgeon had called Virginia to inform her that the surgery had gone well. He did not know what I was experiencing at the time. I heard voices and I opened my eyes and I briefly saw men, including the anesthesiologist, standing around me. They were discussing what they could do for me, having realized that I was in deep trouble. One would suggest one thing and another something else. I do believe they gave me morphine and a few times, nitroglycerin plus something else. During my intense suffering, there was a moment of calm and from what I saw, I understood that I was dying and I felt submissive to the Lord. My thoughts were on my Beloved and that she needed me. Finally, the horrific pain in my heart subsided and by God’s grace and in His providence he used the men to save my life. I did pass through “the valley of the shadow of death”, for which I am eternally grateful! The following morning, two stents were inserted in an artery that was about 90 percent blocked! What I have written is very personal and from a grateful heart, but I have strong convictions that God works in the lives of His people. This principle is found throughout His Word. Because of my emotions I have not been able to write this story until now. It was in the month of April that I wrote an article and shared it with others. The title was “The Uncertainty of Life”. Little did I know this lesson would be impressed upon me so soon and so real! I am thankful that He was with me and that His “rod and staff” prevented death from taking my life. They truly comforted me because He was with me. We must realize that death can overtake us at any time. It is then we have no control over our life. We will then be in the hands of the living God. It is my heart’s desire that all who read this will be in subjection to the will of God, obey the gospel of Christ and live for our Savior. The Lord has promised He will give us a “crown of righteousness” when this life on earth is finished (2 Timothy 4:8). Oh, how “blessed are those who die in the Lord from now on” (Revelation 14:13)!

No comments: