11 February 2016

WHENEVER I AM AFRAID

 It was probably when David was captured by the Philistines that David wrote the words found in Psalm 56:3: “Whenever I am afraid.” Just think, here is the man who was anointed to be the next king of Israel and a great warrior, yet, he expressed that he was “afraid”.

Are there times when you are afraid? Afraid when alone in the darkness of night; afraid when a loved one is critical ill; afraid that you will not be able to support your family; afraid when there is a threat of another war; afraid when you growing old; or, perhaps afraid when you are facing death? Well, welcome to the club. You are not alone.

Please read what David also wrote when he said “I am afraid”: “I will trust in You” and “In God I have put my trust” (Psalm 56: 3, 11). We can place our trust in God who works out everything for our eternal welfare (Romans 8:28). It is in Him that we can have complete confidence as well as in His promise that He “will never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5). And when it comes our time to “walk through the valley of death”, yea, even death itself, we can safely say, “I will fear no evil; for thou art with me”. Also we trust in Jesus Christ who said: “I am the resurrection and the life, He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die…” (John 11:25, 26).

When we come to trust in God and love Him “with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind” (Matthew 22:37), we will have this blessed assurance: “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear…” (1 John 4:18). So when we are afraid, regardless of the circumstances, let us cry out from the depths of our heart, “O my God, I trust in You…” (Psalm 25:2).


Raymond, (2/11/16) 

No comments: