06 October 2009

Children That Are Grand

The Psalmist wrote, “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; They shall not be ashamed, But shall speak with their enemies in the gate” (Psalm 127:3-5). While he wrote regarding one’s children, the same can be said about grandchildren. Someone has said that had he known how grand grandchildren were, he and his wife would have had them first! Virginia and I have been blessed with nine grandchildren and we love them dearly. We pray nightly for their physical and spiritual well being. We want them to love Jesus and give their lives to Him. Because of our age I think what the Psalmist wrote in chapter 71:17-18 could apply to us: “O God, You have taught me from my youth; And to this day I declare Your wondrous works. Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, your power to everyone who is to come.”

How wonderful and beautiful it is to be loved by your children’s children! There’s nothing exactly like it. Our nine grandchildren are talented in various ways. Unfortunately they all live in different states and they live a long way from us. Virginia and I cherish the times when our grandchildren would express their love to Papa and Ma. The youngest grandchild, Annie, came into this world loving singing. She would sit in my lap and listen for long periods of time to hymns being played on a CD. If I changed to instrumental music she would become disturbed, so I would go back to the Christian hymns. Here is Annie, age 5 years and 8 months old, the daughter of Matt and Lela singing a song to her Papa and Ma. The occasion was for a Grandparents Day program at her school in Colorado Springs, Colorado. (In order to resume the background music, please click here to be directed to our Annie's performance. Thank you ~RE)

2 comments:

Papakeith said...

Prov 17:6 Children's children are the crown of old men, NKJV (not saying your old but we are indeed blessed bby our grand children!

Keith Ellis

Raymond Elliott said...

Thanks Keith, I am old but not worn out. I agree that grandchildren are truly blessings. I just wish that they did not live so far from us.
Raymond